The first restaurants of “McDonald’s”
The first restaurant McDonald’s (then still an ordinary eatery) was opened in 1940, in San Bernardino,California, USA. Initially, its founders – brothers Richard and Maurice MacDonalds, have positioned it as a barbecue restaurant, aimed at motorists, but in 1948 they realized that the revolution will be a hamburger retaurant.
So they abandoned the concept of a barbecue, and switched to a simplified and standardized menu. It includes only the burgers, chips and orange juice. However, in 1949, the list of dishes were added french fries and a Coke.
Standardization of menu and cooking of food, which could be called a conveyor, gave its result: the cost of 1 hamburger in the network McDonald brothers was only 15 cents – it’s 2-3 times lower than in the restaurant of their competitors.
In the early 50s the company of brothers have received a good income, but they didn’t invest in the creation of new restaurants and resorted to the franchise. Due to this in 1953, McDonald’s restaurants opened in Phoenix (Arizona) and Downey (CA).
General license for the franchise brothers sold in 1954, to seller machines of dairy products Ray Crook. In 1955 he opened his first restaurant in Des Plaines (IL).