Neon lights were were introduced for the very first time to the public at the Paris Motor Show in 1910. It was invented by Georges Claude and it was called, “Edison of France.” The company of Claude used Neon as waste; its main activity- liquefying air. When Claude got a patent, he became a monopolist of production of neon signs.
In 1913, three years after the car dealership, a huge sign Cinzano was presented at an exhibition in Paris, and in 1923, Claude received an order from the United States for two huge neon signs on a showroom in Los Angeles.
For the use of the technology production of neon signs, Claude took a percentage of the revenue thus earned by 1931 $ 16.9 million, and a year later time of the patent expired. By 1940, nearly 2,000 small workshops produced neon signs in the US.
Douglas Lee, author of the world-famous Times Square “displays”, went far beyond the neon, using animation, sound, smell, “fog”.
During the Second World War, there was a reduction of signs because of economy electricity. After the war, production of neon received public funding, jobs have taken the soldiers returning from the front. These photos of New York were made by photographer Andreas Feininger.