M&M’s origins in wartime
It may not surprise you to learn that many amazing discoveries and inventions are spawned from war. The popular M&M candies, that are beloved by kids and adults of all ages around the world are one such creation. The “M” stamped candy has a hard, candy shell that surrounds a filling; the type of filling depends on the specific type of M&M, but the original filling was chocolate.
During 1941, Hershey’s Chocolate had control over the rationed chocolate, so this was the chocolate used as the center of Mar’s patented M&Ms. The two M’s, are used to represent Mars and Murrie, the founder of the Newark Company, Forrest E. Mars Sr.and Bruce Murrie, the son of the president of the Hershey’s company.
Shortly after wartime quotas ended and the candies were made available to the general public. In 1950, the candies were imprinted with a black “m” (which changed to white in 1954) and customers were encouraged to “Look for the M on every piece” to ensure they were getting the real thing.
By 1956, M&Ms were the number 1 candy in the United States. The original packaging for M&M’s was cardboard tubes. The tubes were changed to the familiar brown paper/plastic pouch that it is known for today.