Jewish life in Mukacheve before World War II
Mukacheve is a town in the Transcarpathian region of Ukraine. Jews began to settle in Mukacheve, which was a member of the Hungarian lands of the Habsburg Empire, in the mid-17th century. Aristocratic family Schönborn, who owned Mukachevo from 1711, willingly attracted Jews to the city, taking from them accommodation tax in their own favor.
In the 1919-38 years. Mukacheve was a part of Czechoslovakia. In the city there were about 30 synagogues, in 1920 was founded an elementary school with teaching in Hebrew, in 1925 – Gymnasium